Parks are very popular in the US and there are many ways to have fun at the park. In fact, research published in 2021 found that over 260 million people visited a local park at least once in the previous 12 months.
But what is there to do at the park? We’ve got a total of 20 park activity ideas you can try!
5 Things to Do at the Park with Friends and Family
If you’re visiting with friends or taking your family out for a day outdoors, here are some quick ideas you can try.
- Go hiking, biking, or swimming. Get some exercise together out in the fresh air!
- Bring food! Host a cookout or barbecue at a local pavilion.
- Toss a ball or a Frisbee around. It’s simple, relaxing, and gets everyone moving.
- Have a picnic! Settle down by a small lake or under a tree and enjoy some good food together.
- Go fishing at a catch-and-release pond. See who can catch the most (or the largest) fish!
5 Park Activities for Kids
If you have children, you may want some more creative ways to get them active outside. In addition to the activities above, here are some fun park activities for kids.
- Play games at a local playground. Tag, sardines, or “the floor is lava” can all be great ways to enjoy a playground.
- Organize a scavenger hunt. Collect pictures of insects, leaves, birds, or random happenstances.
- Try a good old-fashioned game of tug of war. Up the ante by having each team recruit passersby as they pull!
- Catch butterflies! Or for a nighttime variant, catch fireflies.
- Speaking of nighttime, stargazing is a great way to enjoy a clear night sky with kids.
5 Ways to Have Fun at the Park with Pets
Of course, pets also need exercise. Try these great ways to have fun with your dog at the park.
- Run an agility course with various obstacles.
- Play fetch.
- Go jogging. Dogs can make great running companions!
- Practice tricks that take advantage of open green spaces.
- If you have a hound, try some nose work—practice finding items by scent.
Keep in mind that many areas have leash laws. For activities that require free running, be sure to find an area where it’s ok to let your dog off the leash, such as a dog park. And be sure to clean up after your pet.
5 Fun Solo (Or Group) Park Activities
If you want something more meditative, the following park activities can be done either solo or in a group.
- Go bird watching.
- Practice yoga.
- Do some journaling or sketching under a tree.
- Photograph wildlife, plants, or the sunset.
Common Questions About Park Activities
When it comes to finding things to do at the park, here are some common questions.
What are some fun games to play at the park?
In addition to the activities mentioned above, you could try the following games:
- Eggs and spoons
- Water balloon volleyball
- A three-legged race
- Ring toss
Why should we play in the park?
Aside from the obvious benefits of exercise, playing in the park can have significant mental health benefits as well. For instance, a study conducted in Los Angeles found that those living within a quarter mile of a park had higher mental health index scores than those living farther away.
What should you to bring to a park?
If you expect to be outside for a while, bring water, bug repellant, and sunscreen. If you have a dog, bring gloves and plastic bags to collect waste.
What do the parks at Union Park by Hillwood have to offer?
Union Park by Hillwood in Little Elm, TX, is well known, not just for its beautifully appointed new construction homes by top builders, top schools, and excellent location, but also for its
- Publicly available trails, fields, woods at the 30-acre Central Park.
- Pocket parks throughout the community.
- ADA-accessible Exploration Park and playground for kids.
- Food truck park that offers a variety of cuisines every Wednesday evening.
- Multiple catch-and-release fishing ponds.
- Outdoor Fitness Park with a variety workout opportunities.
Enjoy Fun Park Activities at Union Park by Hillwood
Union Park residents enjoy all these beautiful places plus many additional amenities that are part of owning a home within our Little Elm community.
- A resort-style pool
- An indoor-outdoor Fitness Park with a cardio room, sports courts, a lap pool and splash pad, a rubber running track, ninja-style fitness stations, and more
- A lush, shaded dog park with a washing station and obstacles for furry friends to enjoy
- An outdoor kitchen
- Hundreds of activities, classes, and events planned specifically for residents of Union Park each year